Thin Film Photovoltaics
Solar cells and modules made from certain thin film semiconductors have been shown to be much less expensive to produce in larger volume and requiring much less raw material to produce than silicon based PV cells. Extensive research and development on thin film cells has been conducted for more than 30 years, and recent advances in manufacturing and product commercialization have increased worldwide share of thin film photovoltaics to over 10% in 2007.
Thin film photovoltaic products exhibit the following attributes:
Scaleable, low cost manufacturing: Thin film solar cells and modules require a structural “substrate” to support them, such as glass. Applying the films on low cost glass substrates enables continuous and scaleable manufacturing. As much of the equipment to process these substrates is used in other industries, the capital expenditure required to establish large-volume thin film PV product manufacturing plants enables rapid capacity expansion and lowers the cost per watt of products.
Lower material cost: The substrate and raw materials used in thin film PV products are less expensive than the cost of most semiconductor materials. With increasing thin film manufacturing capacity and process yield improvements product costs are reduced.
Performance attributes: In addition to cost per watt advantages, thin film photovoltaic technologies exhibit performance advantages in generating energy in low light level and increased temperature environments. This positions them particularly well for applications in regions with less direct sunlight, such as in Northern Europe.
Why is this important?
The report provides key data, information and analysis on the current status and future outlook of Global Thin film industry. The report provides detailed volume and value forecasts to 2020 of the global thin-film PV market by technology type and geographic region. The global thin film photovoltaic (PV) market, despite of caution in the overall PV industry, is expected to experience an overwhelming growth in coming years. By 2020, the industry is set to transform itself to become the face of Solar PV industry.The study also addresses thin-film module production, production capacity, and competition among the industry players (as per technologies) along with the focus on development of emerging technologies in the thin film arena. The report entails comprehensive analysis of top 5 countries. The strongest growth for thin film, as per our analysis, will be in Europe and the US in the short to medium term. Asian countries like China, Japan, and India are also expected to speedup their escalation in the medium term. In Germany will remain strongest and the most important market for thin film PV industry.
– This comprehensive report gives a thorough analysis of global thin film photovoltaic (PV) market.
– The report covers top 5 countries Germany, Japan, the US (United States), China and Republic of Korea.
– Cumulative and annual installed capacity from 2001 to 2009, with forecasts to 2020 for the Global Solar PV and Global Thin Film PV industry.
– Market share and comparative analysis of different thin film technologies along with forecast. Technologies covered include Amorphous Silicon (a-Si), Cadmium Telluride (CdTe), Copper Indium Gallium Diselenide (CIGS)
– Comparative analysis of traditional solar PV technology and thin film PV technology.
– Competitive landscape which also includes the detailed information of top 10 companies. Key companies covered include First Solar, Inc., United Solar Ovonic, LLC, Sharp Corporation, Kaneka Corporation, Trony Solar Corporation, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
– Key topics covered include the Market Drivers, Market Restraints, Market trends, emerging market and Investment status.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability in more rapid and time sensitive manner. It will allow the user to:
– Identify key growth drivers and restrain, and competitive landscape in top 5 countries
– Position yourself to gain the maximum advantage of the industry’s growth potential by developing strategies based on the industrys emerging technologies and current market strategies adopted by the top players.
– Identify key established industry players along with start-up ventures while analyzing investment trends in the industry.
– Identify the drivers and restraints of global thin film industry along with its established technologies
– Facilitate decision making based on strong historic and forecast data.
– Understand how each technology, each at a different stage of development and adoption, are driven forward to the development path.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Fuji Electric Systems
Abound Solar, Inc.
Wuerth Solar GmbH
Ascent Solar Technologies
Read more: http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Thin—Film-Photovoltaic–pv–Cells-Market-Analysis-To-2020/1448855#ixzz0zfJDiONc
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution No Derivatives